Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About



Owen Hargreaves a Bust?

Am I the only one that thinks Manchester United have not only over-paid for Owen Hargreaves, but that they have better options at the position? The Canadian born defensive mid-fielder has made 7 appearances in 14 league games and I can only think of one good game that he’s had — off the top of my head I cannot remember the opponent (perhaps someone can refresh my memory).

Aside from that one game that stood out to me, his performance has been shocking considering the money paid and the expectations coming into the season.

Some questions / things to consider:

* Does Carrick play better with Hargreaves on the bench? I was thinking today how much better Carrick played. He made some very effective passes, moved around well, made himself available, and was a big part of the game. Versus his performance last weekend at Bolton when he was paired with Hargreaves and entirely ineffective.
* Ronaldo has had only two more appearances. Can you say he’s as important to the team as Ronny? On the surface this sounds like an unfair comparison, but think in terms of work-rate and energy expended, and how the team around him plays. Consider his play in his position against any of the regular starters. Does he stack up?
* Does Manchester have a better option at the position? Certainly not Fletcher who was pathetic today, but Anderson would get my vote as a better alternative. A midfield of Ronaldo, Carrick, Anderson, and Giggs (spelled by Nani) would strike fear into most teams.

Now don’t get me wrong, I believe he provides great depth and is a useful player on the roster. My point is that he should not be considered part of the “best 11″ for United and should be utilized as a substitute instead of a starter. What do you think?

Posted by gjoe 4:03 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment